Sunday, October 24, 2010

We were vaguely offended...

when Ed suggested we take a "before" photo.  This was last weekend on a Saturday night out for the four of us.  I borrowed Molly's hairdryer and actually applied makeup, and then we hit the town Tokyo style.

At dinner at one of M&A's favorite burger joints: Burger Mania in Ebisu


Following dinner and a walk through fancy expat-ville, we arrived at Hannah's bangin b-day party where we got down to some soul music dancing and serious cocktailing.  Because the trains here stop running between midnight and 1, we had to split before we would've liked, and the four of us sprinted through a couple of stations to avoid a hefty cab fare.  But when we returned to Sangenjaya, we weren't quite ready to pack it in.  So we hit up Toki's 80's bar, which has no table charge and 500 yen drinks.  Also, an unbelievable selection of 80's music videos, played on request.

A fellow patron, clearly a regular, told us that Toki the proprietor is basically a human Shazam.  The Aussie claims he had hummed countless tunes across the bar and that Toki, without fail, could name that tune (and usually find the accompanying video).  Same dude also schooled us on Jimmy Barnes, the "Australian Bruce Springsteen."  Once we had wrapped up a rock block of Australian 80s music - Air Supply, Men at Work, Midnight Oil, INXS - the dance party started. 

I guess this would be the 'after'...  George Michael, y'all:


There are plenty more museums to be visited, mountains to be climbed, and temples to be awe-struck by on this trip.  But when I look back on our time in Tokyo, I'm certain that one of my fondest memories will be of belting out "Freedom" with my best friend and a bar full of strangers at 2 am in a neighborhood joint.  Followed immediately by a fit of hysterical laughter and a big steaming bowl of ramen.  Best.

2 comments:

redmenace said...

I won't let you down, I will not give you up. Got to have some faith in the sound-- it's the one good thing that I've...got.

Rodney said...

I won't let you down
So please don't give me up
Because I would really, really love to stick around