Saturday, September 4, 2010

travelin' reading list, part II

Korean cable is crap, we have 1 laptop, and we've all but stopped boozing, which means we both read a lot. In fact, I'm down to my last unread book and in need of recommendations. My favorites are always suggestions from friends, so please shoot me a mail or leave ideas for me in comments and you'll be my hero. You'll also be helping to not waste my terrible mind, keep me off the streets, idle hands, etc.

Here's some thoughts on the last batch...
The Ask: A Novel by Sam Lipsyte
I thought this book was going to be funny, but to me it was a bummer. The narrator is a schlumpy pessimist and reminds me too much of a narcissistic ex-boyfriend. The book is well written and Sam Lipsyte has an admiral vocabulary but, overall, is too up his own ass. That said, I really got some mileage out of the dictionary function on my Kindle and will be wowing you with shiny four-syllablers as soon as I learn how to use them in context. Flash cards, please.

Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff
Rakoff is one of my favorite NPR heads; his contributions to “This American Life” make any episode in which he appears a favorite. His writing is stellar but loses something for me when its not read aloud in his dry, elegant, ready for a v.o., voice. Plus, a collection of short stories has to be kind of miraculous to win my affection. I'm lazy during the courting stage of a book and often find the set-up a total drag. Once I'm through that bit and committed, I'd prefer that the tale goes on and on so that I don't have to start over. With short form, I usually feel like it ends just as I'm immersing. That said, there is a quote in this book about Karl Lagerfeld that I reread 12 times; it was spot on and mean-spirited and David Rakoff-perfect.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
This was a recommendation from my friend Aileen, who never steers me wrong, but often recommends mandatory crying books. (see: Eleni, The Glass Castle, Case Histories, I could go on...) Edgar Sawtelle also brought the requisite tears, but holy shit is this a terrific book. I tip my hat to anyone who can write an engaging and cohesive novel that includes a mute protagonist, a cast of dogs with developed and unique personalities and believable mysticism/ghost stuff. I enjoyed reading this book tremendously and when I finished said to Ed, “that, my friend, is how you write a book.” Read it, GO!

Spooner by Pete Dexter
I think I liked this book, but I'm still not sure. Its weird in a good, almost cartoonish way. I felt the same ambivalence when I finished "Confederacy of Dunces," so, you know...  There are some very funny bits and some tragically sad moments. If someone else reads it, let me know what you think. I loved the ending and that might be coloring my overall impression. But, maybe its great? Undecided.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
I don't love reading plays, but I do love Oscar Wilde. Always.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Every Last One" by Anna QUindlen (I think) was a tear jerker but enjoyable.

"We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. OK I havent actually read it but it comes highly reccomended and is in my pile on the nightstand.

I am sooooo enjoying both blogs. And then I like to look at the pics and it all comes together. I feel like I dont even need to go to Asia, I can live vicariously through you......