Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hong Kong Livin'

The thing that I miss most about home is walking into our old apartment, flopping on the couch, and watching DVR'd TV.  I was never a TV addict and didn't watch so many hours a week but I liked having the option to completely zone, you know?  I know that if the thing lacking from our travels is excess ass-sitting, its not so bad, but the luxury of a living room really can't be overstated when you no longer have one.

Our friend Christina generously invited us to stay at her place in Hong Kong, and was leaving for a business trip the next morning.  Not only was our hostel there a dump (I'm talking to you Yesinn, see my review on hostelworld.com, dirtbags) but Christina's apartment is beautiful and felt like a home.  As we checked out, a couple of cockroaches saw us off and when I told the proprietor we'd be leaving early, he didn't even look up from his monitor, but grunted "there's a key box, drop 'em there."  So you can imagine that evening, having showered in a room where I didn't even consider wearing shoes, sitting on a big couch watching 'How I Met Your Mother' reruns and flipping through Vogue was nothing short of miraculous.

I wouldn't trade the experiences we're having on this trip...  The amount of world we've seen in 3 months floors me every time we tell a story or look back through some photos.  But once in a great while, a fluffy comforter and working remote control is paradise found.

No comments: