Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Red Brier Happiness, Richmond, Tasmania

(lest I confuse anyone, this is an old post... We're in the Barossa Valley in South Australia, but I'm going to try to catch up chronologically)


We haven't stumbled on somewhere this magical since the House Hostel in Sokcho, Korea.  Our host, Vianne, was concerned that we might not immediately fall in house love with the 1834 cottage that she rented out in historic Richmond village.  I'm not sure what wouldn't be to love about wide plank floors, huge fluffy beds, and nearly 200-year-old details including an old bread stove in the living room. 

Vianne has 2 other well established accommodations on the property; one an old school cottage and the second a contemporary villa.  Judging by the interiors mags overflowing from the magazine racks, I'd say the whole complex is her creative playpen.  The main house (where we stayed) is her newest addition.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I may yet be cutout for small town life.  After an unbelievable Italian dinner at Anton's our first evening, I wasn't even angry to find it randomly closed when we tried to go back a couple of nights later.  Know why? Because that's what people in small towns do.  They close their shops so they can pursue their hobbies and see their friends and maybe their kids instead of grinding it out making pizzas every night of the week.  Someone remind me of this when I start interviewing, kay?

But I digress.  The cottage, the town, the magic.  The view out our bedroom window.  When we had the window cracked the smell of lavender filed the room.

The 3rd bedroom in the little cottage, which Vianne had converted to also be used as the breakfast room.

Each time I slide the automated key into the slot of another crappy Australian motel room, I momentarily squint in hopes that we're back at the Red Brier.  Sadly, once I take in my surroundings, very few places we've stayed since have come close to being as lovely.

No comments: